read/write Palm DBs

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 06:00:00 EDT 2003

--- Lars Lewejohann <lale at phenotyping.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply! (and sorry for the
> double post - I used the
> wrong
> email-address...)
>
> Jan Schenkel wrote:
>
> >Hi Lars,
> >
> >If you need cross-platform without the headaches of
> >Java, then Revolution is the way to go :-)
> >AFAIK, no one here has written a library yet for
> >reading and/or writing pdb files.
> >
> Thats  the bad  news I expected  :-)
>
> >However, a bit of
> >googling turned up the file format specs at :
>
>http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/fileformats/PDB_PRCFormat.html
> >
> jep, I've seen that before and I was hoping there
> might be some tools at
> hand for easily
> converting to a RR-read-/writeable format (that
> would have been the
> perfect argument
> for imediatly registering with revolution)
>
> >So this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish :-)
> >
> Well, I just dicovered RR last night. Even though I
> have some C and PHP
> source code
> doing the trick this probably will not be a perfect
> start :-) I'll see
> how far I get
> and I will most likely come back here and bother
> with some questions...
>
> BTW my e-mail account gets rapidly flodded with
> posts from this list.
> Wouldn't it be
> more comfortable to have a forum instead of a
> mailing list?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Lars

Hi Lars,

Since you're new to Revolution, I'd advise playing
around with the tutorials first. After you have more
of a feel on how to build a project, open up the
transcript dictionary, and have a look at the entries
for 'binaryEncode' and 'binaryDecode'
Those functions allow you to turn binary data into
Revolution variables and back.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====