Rotating Images: the rot sets in...

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Wed Jun 25 20:08:22 EDT 2003

At 5:21 AM -0700 6/23/03, Mathewson wrote:
>I'm playing around with rotating images and am wondering
>about the phenomenon of "fuzzy edges".
>
>Let us just suppose I have a GIF image which I want to
>rotate in increments of 45 degs:
>all very simple: described in Help files & so forth.
>
>What is not explained is that the edges of the image (if it
>is plain colour) or the whole image (if it is a picture)
>will deteriorate markedly as it rotates.

Quote:

"The rotation operation does not have an inverse. Since some amount of
distortion is unavoidable when rotating an image by an amount that is not a
multiple of 90 degrees, rotating an image clockwise, then counterclockwise
by the same amount does not completely restore the original image.

To rotate an image in a reversible way, set its angle property instead of
using the rotate command. Unlike the rotate command, the angle property
affects only the screen display of the image, not the actual picture data
in it."

Unquote. ;-)

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/