Why must *any* of these be done manually (or, missing widgets)? :-)

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Jun 25 17:07:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 03:40  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> If you're working in C++ there are a lot of modern frameworks you can
> use,
> but to my knowledge the only cross-platform one is Metrowerks'
> PowerPlant,
> and it does only Mac and Win (and they're in such dire straights I
> don't
> know how long it'll be maintained).  But for all the conveniences of a
> framework, it comes at a pretty high price:  what makes a framework
> valuable
> is that it provides a lot of ready-made widgets, but to use them
> pretty much
> requires that the rest of your application use that framework as well.
>  This
> is fine as long as you're writing for just one OS, but Macromedia,
> Adobe,
> and others have had to invest in their own frameworks to produce their
> wares, and it's a big job.

Other solid C++ x-platform frameworks:

http://www.wxwindows.org/ (wxwindows)
http://www.trolltech.com/ (QT)

However, I think Revrun's use of emulated widgets is truly necessary
for true cross-platform-icity. REALbasic uses native widgets, with
mixed results IMHO.

Interestingly, I think QT uses emulated widgets too. So does Java, for
the most part.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com