Why must *any* of these be done manually (or, missing widgets)? :-)

valetia at mac.com valetia at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 08:06:00 EDT 2003

A bunch of widgets seem to be missing from RR (even in 2.0). For instance:

When creating multi-column fields, why is it necessary for us to implement
our own resizable field headers (the ones you find in email clients, iTunes,
etc.)?

It's a very common field type - surely Apple and Microsoft must have
provided some sort of OS-level "widget" thingy for it?

I know Chipp (thanks btw) has a stack that demonstrates how this can be
"hacked up" in RR, but *why* does it need to be hacked up in the first
place? :-)

It still looks and behaves differently from the one I see most apps use...do
they somehow have access to something we don't? What's the logic behind
that?

Also, how do you (manually again, I guess) insert those ellipses (...) when
the width of a column is too small to fit the text? Anyone has any script
for that?

Do C and REALbasic programmers have to do these things manually too? Seems
like a total waste of time for something that is known to be used again and
again across so many applications. :-)

Any comments/suggestions?

Valetia

P.S. What about that spinning widget that you see in the lower-middle of the
screen when shutting down or restarting Jaguar? I'm quite sure it's a widget
that's readily available with most of the other programming languages (I
think I caught a glimpse of it in REALbasic one time)...

For instance...this spinning thingy also appears in Microsoft Entourage to
indicate the checking of email. When I upgraded from Mac OS X 10.1 to Jaguar
(which uses a new design for the spinning widget), the design was
*automatically* updated in Entourage (same copy)! A sure sign of it being a
"widget"...right? :-)