File Corruption

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Jun 24 14:33:00 EDT 2003

Agreed. One must be specific

One verifiable "corruption" issue I have definitively diagnosed is that
the IDE will create spurious code in the cRevGeneral custom properties
that are attached to any given object.

Two known instances of this have been

a) an instance where a Rev IDE custom prop in a stack referred to an
older version of the program which was not on disk and which was other
than the current engine/IDE wrapper under which the stack was opened.

b) a second instance (found only yesterday) where, during a lock up,
the IDE does not update the "script" custom prop for an object in this
case a button... tempScript was correct (i.e. it had the changes I had
made in the script saved correctly in the "tempScript" prop for the
button) but "script" carried and older version of the script.

Now, this manifested after reboot of Rev, as a "object not found" in
the script debugger where the previous script referred to a fld
"Reminders" instead of button called "Reminders" . But, had i been in a
run time mode, it would have just failed...

Solution was simple. add a space to the script, and force a new "apply"
to update the custom props.

so, one solution for this kind of corruption (where in fact the data in
the stack is still pristine/OK) would be a

"Clean up and refresh all RevCustom Props"

I suspect -- a broadside generalization! ;-) --

That the revCustom props may be getting more mangled than we realize.

But, to be fair, I get as many or more "unexpectedly quit" instances on
OSX from Apple's own Mail.app and other apps as I do in Rev.  Only
Rev's are pretty predictable.  which is actually better!

Sivakatirswami