File Corruption

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Tue Jun 24 11:27:00 EDT 2003

>But if the problem is related to code in the IDE, it's a bug in the IDE
>and/or the engine (ideally a 4GL should never have a hard crash), but not
>necessarily a matter of corrupted data.   "Corruption" refers to bad data
>structures, not procedural bugs.

Well look, I don't want to quibble about terminology. Isn't it possible
for the IDE to corrupt its own internal data structures? My whole point
in responding to your original post is that, in my experience, Rev has
ended up "corrupting" stacks in a way that was probably not caused by
write operations to the disk. The stacks didn't fail because of bad
programming. The stacks failed because Rev scrambled something in the
stacks and then when it went to interpret the stack, this scrambling
caused Rev to crash.

I'm a big supporter of this environment, but to think that Rev is never
going to cause problems is naive.

>Do you have an FTP server you can post it?  If the problem is repeatable in
>the latest version it sounds like the type of thing Rev support would be
>interested in, but maybe the list members could turn it into a diagnostic
>contest. :)

Unfortunately, the stack contains proprietary data. If the Rev team wants
to look at it, I'm happy to make it available.

Regards,

Howard Bornstein