How to use joysticks in Rev

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Jun 21 20:28:01 EDT 2003

Hi Dar,

Thanks for the Re.

> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:27:06 -0600
> Subject: Re: How to use joysticks in Rev
> From: Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com>
>

> On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 08:23 AM, Ken Norris wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to know how to write for a joystick (and other adaptive
>> controllers) in Rev. And if no one has done it, then, if it is
>> possible, I'd
>> like to learn how to do it.
>
> One approach is to insist the supplier supply mouse drivers and go to
> another if it does not.  Perhaps some joysticks already look like mice,
> so you don't even need to get the driver.
----------
Well, some stick mfrs won't bother to write separate drivers for Macs, which
is the case with my CH Fighterstick. The driver for PCs allows setup combos
numbering in the hundreds. If you want that one you have to live with what
the games have for it (which is usually plenty enough for the games), or a
generic driver like USB Overdrive, or use it just on PC's.
----------
> Of course, this might not work if you really want a particular joystick.
Like I said. BTW, does anyone have a high-end stick they like for Macs? The
Macally iStick is inexpensive, but it shows. I suppose it's OK for the
price, but it's at least a couple levels below the CH stick.

But the real point is being able to adjust settings from the app, like games
do, so you have faster methods of adjusting it like my potential users will
need.

Thanks again,
Ken N.