[ANN] News Reader Stack Available

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jun 18 18:10:01 EDT 2003

Recently, "Sarah"  wrote:

> I love it! Every morning I check out the  latest MacCentral headlines
> and your interface provides a really clean, quick and easy way to do
> it. Thanks very much.

Glad to hear someone finds it useful.  I was getting quite sick of clicking
links, waiting for pages to load, clicking back to return to stories, etc.,
thus this project.  There are a few more features I'd like to add, such as
searching past stories, displaying reviews, and viewing forum comments, but
I'm trying to complete some other "mini-browsers" beforehand.

The nice thing is, since this stack is stored on the Web, you'll have
immediate access to any updates made to it. :-)

> Browsing through your scripts (always on the lookout for good
> techniques), I noticed that you start object names with an underline
> and don't put them in quotes. Have you had any problems with this?

Never.  Personally, I find quotes visually distracting and add unnecessary
characters to the script.  Also, the underscore makes it impossible to
confuse an object name with a reserved name, and allows me to quickly pick
out objects from scripts.

> I am always most careful to quote all object names, but your scripts look
> very neat. The major disadvantage that I can see would be that
> double-clicking can't select the entire name.

True -- in my case, it's disadvantage I prefer to quoting object names. :-)

Best Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design