Debugger - was: Documentation

Filippo Galimberti fgalimbe1 at tin.it
Mon Jun 16 06:42:03 EDT 2003

>For those of you searching for a quantitative evaluation of the
>completeness of Jeanne's documentation, do a search for space (just
>hit the space bar) in the "Search Revolution Documentation" plug-in
>in RunRev 2.0.
>
>You will find: "3052 topics containing " "
>
>Presumably this is a complete list. Astonishing!
>
>Moral: Be careful what you search for. In my search for space I have
>learned what the Sorcerer's Apprentice learned.
>
>Jim
>
>P.S. In RunRev 2.0 I find that Rev often freezes when  "Script
>debugger mode" is selected from the development menu. (Command period
>to unfreeze.) And when in the debugging mode, the "Step over" very
>often "Steps into." (I switch back to 1.1.1 for debugging.) Anyone
>else with these problem?  (Mac OS 9, G4 PowerBook.)
>
>Also, a small cross-platform issue. In OS 9, the "/" as part of a
>menu item, results in a keyboard shortcut. In OS X, "/" is just
>another character.

Same problems with the debugger on Windows 2k and XP (home and prof):
1) Revolution seems to freeze when debugging large scrits (say > 2000
lines) operating on large stacks; it doesn't actually freeze, it just
became very, very slow
2) "step over" actually step into user-defined commands and function most
of the times, very annoying
That's on 2.0.1 professional.
A good debugger is a priority for a professional scripting environment.
Filippo Galimberti