Language relevance, was :Re: nuovo websitsko :-)

Manuel Companys mcompanys at mac.com
Sun Jun 15 09:38:01 EDT 2003

Le dimanche, 15 juin 2003, à 15:00 Europe/Paris, Klaus Major a écrit :

> @Manuel
> Actually i might support any language with a corresponding country
> which i might get in business with at some time...
>
> Which unfortunately is not the case with "Esperanto" ;-)

What are you interested in: the countries, or the people who could get
in business with you? Those aliens ares spread all over the world. I
agree that they are quite few (more than some countries with a language
quoted in Jaguar's system preferences/languages, though). But these
people are very active, very fond of international web communication
and computer use*, and they  are so strange aliens, that some of them
could buy an program just because it has an esperanto interface. And
look: in a few minutes 3 of those intruders from outer space showed up
right in the middle of our list!

Something simlilar with Catalan. All of them can use Spanish fluently.,
but they would like their language to be in the program. And there are
probably more computers in Barcelona than in the rest of Spain, or in
in a buch of south american spanish speaking countries together, for
that matter.

Anyway, what my translation offer is good for french, spanish and
catalan**, my three "mother languages" (dont be surprised: aliens are
that way)  ;-)))

Excuse us for the noise.

But discussing about the pertinence of languages for internationalizing
programs may not be totallly irrelevant for at leat some of us.

And again congratulations and thank you for your stacks and the nice
way you help people. I hope you'll get the whisky bottle!

Manuel

* there are many  esperanto fora and lists dealing with computers and
web communication; The very active <e_Mac at esperanto.se>  is my most
important source about what is going on.

** I would llike to exchange my translating into one of the languages I
know, for some oher language, especially german.