parallel invention of the wheel? (was: Document Search Summary)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Jun 15 05:39:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003  "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jeanne at runrev.com> wrote:

(snip)

> - I have never seen the Topsearch utility.

Thanks for the information. Then my theory of parallel development was
right.

Maybe you could indeed find the time to look at the "Topsearch" tool, to
see how the structures compare (although as I said "it is now
obsolete"at least for searching the Docs because of your add-ons).

There remains the question, which I raised, whether it would be useful
to add a *general text search utility* to the environment that  works
in a similar way as in "Topsearch" and in your search tools - not
intended  for the Documentation, but to search  text contents of any
stacks in visible and hidden fields and also - as an option - in all
scripts of a stack.

The features could be similar to our present solutions:

- search routine that lists the portions of the text containing the
searchstring and thus providing a condensed version of the parts of the
text relevant to the search
- colorizing the searchstring in the found text for better visibility
- providing the address of the found texts (field,card,script) to be
able to directly go the card containing the field or open the script
editor.

What do you think about the necessity and usability of such an add-on?

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke