parallel invention of the wheel? (was: Document Search Summary)

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Sat Jun 14 19:25:00 EDT 2003

At 12:55PM -0700 6/14/03, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>Two days later (please take "two days" not as an accurate description,
>but as a metapher for a slight difference in time) we were informed that
>a new -although somewhat hidden - search routine had also been added to
>Revolution to search the Dictionary, differing in a number of details.

It should not be necessary for me to say this, but since seemingly it is:

- The Search option was added to the Dictionary, Glossary, and
Troubleshooting pages of the documentation in version 2.0, which was
released before Wilhelm posted concerning the "Search Dictionary" button he
had added to Topsearch. It is discussed in some detail in the "What's New"
section of the release notes, which apparently some people bother to read.

- The Search plugin was completed several days before Wilhelm posted his
message discussing proposed additions to this utility (as the file's
creation date indicates).

- I have never seen the Topsearch utility.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/