altBrowser Question and MAC version of altBrowser...

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jun 14 17:31:01 EDT 2003

Edwin,

First a bit of a background on altBrowser.DLL.

I originally wanted this capability for a client of mine. I wished to build
a custom browser with many set features, which also allowed his customers to
navigate only to specific places. Upon asking around, it turned out Tuviah
Snyder (of RR and MC fame) had already authored such a DLL. I asked him
about it and found out it didn't do everything I needed, so I negotiated the
purchase of the source code, with the understanding any changes made to it,
I would make available back to Tuviah. My partner, Chris Bohnert, an
accomplished C programmer himself, would be able to make the *other*
changes.

I also contacted Kevin at RunRev and asked his interest in RR using the DLL
inside their own product. He responded by saying they would consider it IF
there was cross-platform support. Well, Chris and I weren't in a position to
build a Mac version. Tuviah said he'd consider it. That's were we are now.
Tuviah is still interested in building a 'Safari' version, if people are
interested. Recently, we chatted and floated the number of $75 for both
versions...Mac and PC. Neither of us are planning on this as a significant
revenue stream. We would of course like to recover our expenses, and pay for
the inevitable support which is needed.

So, those of you *seriously* interested in the Mac version, please fill out
the form at the bottom of this page.

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/altBrowser.htm

When I say seriously interested, I mean there's a great chance you'd be
willing to pay for this product. The decision on how to prioritize it's
development is based upon how many serious responses we get.

Edwin, back to your question...

Since I didn't write the source code for altBrowser, I asked Chris Bohnert,
one of the authors, and he said if it's not in there now, it's easy to
implement. Of course, if you need to parse the data, you can always 'get
URL' as well. There are a couple of minor fixes we'll need to make in the
near future, I'll add this request as well. BTW, currently there is a
feature which will allow you to 'get the requested URL' which will allow you
to intercept it, process it inside RR, then pass it on to the browser (if
you wish). So, if you write your HTML a certain way, you *can* process
clicks on a page within RR.

This product was written probably about a year ago, but Tuviah had to made
some changes to the MC engine for it to work properly -- so we couldn't
release until RR2.0. This is why I'm a bit unclear regarding all of it's
features.

-Chipp