Report Object - but where's the columnar report

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 14 13:53:00 EDT 2003

SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:

> Correction!
> HyperCard, with the addition of 9 to 5 (RpControl) Reports, did columnar
> reports (called Views) easily and quickly (they were easy to design and they
> ran FAST). If Reports is to be considered a valuable database engine or a
> business system RAD it MUST have comparable report-making capacity.
> Should we not set a minimum goal for Revolution that it at least have the
> functionality of 16 year old HyperCard?

Actually, that's more a reinforcement of the original observation:

Out of the box, for $99 HyperCard provided something very much like Rev's
Report Builder.

The much more comprehensive features found in Reports Data Pro were a
third-party add-on that cost one order of magnitude more for a runtime
distribution license.

However desirable it may be, and possibly worth pursuing for a third-party
(though I think the market will be riper next year for the reasons discussed
here earlier), comparing specialized third-party extensions with in-the-box
features raises expectations no previous xTalk has met.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation