standalone has plainly readable transcript

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sat Jun 14 05:34:01 EDT 2003

Mark,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but it sounds like you are planning to use Valentina's implementation of Blowfish encryption.  Wouldn't that mean that to use your stacks the users would all need to have Valentina deployed with your stack?

I think that the best way for Rev to have encryption is to have it provided in an external.  If you are going to be encrypting potentially quite big stacks, it needs to perform at maximum speed.

I remember reading on the Rev site before I bought my license that they could trade a licence for some significant contribution to Rev's development.  I don't know what that entails, but I think if a high-quality cross-platform, external encryption module could be provided it would be mutually beneficial.

If this does not fit in with their plans for Rev's development, maybe you can use some of the advice provided in the documentation on bypassing the 10 line limit with different coding design?

Also, one oughtn't to be misled by the strenght of the different cryptographic mechanisms.  For example, when your stack is unencrypted the data in the stack will be in RAM (or possibly also in the swap file).  If someone was determined to get access to your unencrypted data they could extract it from these places.  You might want to consider building your app so that decryption only occurs as and when needed, but then the need for the most speedy for of decryption becomes imperative or you risk making your app run noticably slower.  There is always going to be a trade off between the complexity and performance of the app with the necessity of securing the data inside.

Regards

Bernard

I don't have a pro-license for RunRev so I can't test the Valentina
solution. I can't even test the Blowfish algorithm in RR. I'm using the
free RR version until I can afford the small-business and then pro
versions of RunRev. I'm on disability. My resources are so limited that
it takes a long time to save up for  things like this. That is one of
the reasons that I'm checking the documentation first to see if this is
the way to proceed. If I ever get a version that allows me to test
longer than 10 line scripts then I will make the Blowfish stack for RR
that encrypts, saves files as encrypted binaries, and decrypts them.
<<