Using Valentina

Ron rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Sat Jun 14 03:50:01 EDT 2003

Hi Rand

Jan is right about accessing Val through Rev's own commands. If you still
want to use Val directly try this.
> Could someone knowledgeable about Valentina help me a bit? I figure I
> could try posting these questions to the Valentina list, but since the
> readers here know runrev better, I thought I'd try here first.

You'll find the Val list very responsive.

> I am trying to install the xcmd so I can use Valentina, but I am uncertain
> about the exact procedure. I'm using Mac OSX.2.6 and Rev 2.0.1
>
> a. Which Valentina XCMD do I use, the one called VXCMD_Carbon_MC or the one
> called VXCMD_Macho? What is "Macho"?
Note that 'carbon' is used to refer to the executable format rather than the
API. This is from the docs, ml archives and experience:

1) VXCMD_Classic_HC -- FOR OS 9
must be used with HyperCard or SuperCard (NOT SC 4).
It has 2 parts:
xfcn (located inside of examples in archive)
and shared library "VXCMD_Classic_HC".
file path form- HD:Projects:Val folder:filename
CAN BE INCLUDED INSIDE THE STANDALONE

2) VXCMD_Classic_MC -- FOR OS 9
must be used with MetaCard or Revolution 2.0.
MC 2.4.3 or newer has only classic versions and do not have Carbon version.
This VXCMD has 2 parts:
CODE resource -- located in examples
shared library "VXCMD_Classic_MC".
file path form- HD:Projects:Val folder:filename

3) VXCMD_Carbon_MC -- FOR OS 9
must be used with MetaCard or Revolution 1.X.
MC 2.4.2 is last Carbon version of MetaCard.
In the future this version of VXCMD will be canceled.
This VXCMD has 2 parts:
CODE resource -- located in examples
shared library "VXCMD_Carbon_MC".
file path form- HD:Projects:Val folder:filename
REV CODE ID MUST BE CHANGED TO 1202

4) VXCMD_Macho_MC --  FOR OS X
must be used with MetaCard or Revolution 2.0.
MC 2.4.3 or newer have macho versions.
This VXCMD has 2 parts:
CODE resource -- located in examples
shared library "VXCMD_Macho_MC".
file path form - /Projects/Val folder/filename

4) VXCMD_Win_MC -- FOR WINDOWS
must be used with MetaCard or Revolution for Windows.
This VXCMD has only shared library "VXCMD.dll".
D:\Projects\Val folder\filename

> b. To install, according to the scant directions in Valentina, you copy the
> CODE resource from a specified file into the stack you want to use Valentina
> with. I did that.

That is correct, as long as it is, in your case with OS X, the
VXCMD_Macho_MC CODE res. You can copy this from within the Val example
files.

> c. AND you put the XCMD in the same folder as Runtine Revolution.

again, yes, it is the shared library also included in the Val example
folder.

> d. AND the docs say: "For windows and macho versions for new stack, you must
> set the "externals" property of your stack to the path of the external." Do
> we have to do this? (I tried). And if we do, what is the form of the
> externals command?
>
> Is it: set the externals of this stack to "./VXCMD_Macho"? (this is the
> example given in the Valentina docs for an external named "VXCMD_Macho_MC".

Yes, assuming the shared library is on the same level as the Rev app or your
standalone. This line should be in the startup script:

on startup
  set the externals of this stack to "./VXCMD_Macho"
  startupValentina
end startup

on startupValentina
  global vxcmd_init
  get Valentina( "SetDebugLevel",0)
  if (vxcmd_init ‚ "true") then
    get Valentina("Init",8*1024*1024,"VXCMD-#########")
    if (it contains "ERROR") then
      beep
      put false into vxcmd_init
      answer it & "startup val error"