standalone has plainly readable transcript

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 13 20:05:01 EDT 2003

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com wrote:

> The data I wanted to protect is not 'top secret', so I didn't need 'industrial
> grade' encryption.  I wanted to prevent someone easily siphoning off the data
> in my application and producing their own version. The data could just as
> easily have been stored in files (in fact, is ultimately required as files),
> but that would have left it open to easy siphoning.

You can use the DES-derived scheme built in for script encryption in 3
lines:

  -- First we turn it into a single line to avoid runtime script limits:
  put base64encode(tData) into tData
  --- tuck it in a script:
  set the script of someObject to tData
  -- encrypt the scripts of the stack:
  set the passkey of this stack to "MyPassword"

To retrieve the data you set the password, get the script, and pass it
through base64decode.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation