open MS Word files

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 13:29:00 EDT 2003

--- sims <sims at ezpzapps.com> wrote:
> I want to open MS Word files and save the text for
> use in a Rev app.
> If I open a MS Word doc I have the gibberish chars
> to deal with.
>
> Is there any way to grab the text from a MS Word
> file without the gibberish?
>
> Is there a way (with a PC) to have MS Word open a
> doc and then save it as
> a text file but have it all done in the
> background...not require the user to do
> this but have it done with a Rev app?
>
> The text formatting is not crucial as these files
> will be used in an app
> for the blind and read with the speech capability.
>
> tia
>
> sims
> --

Hi Sims,

Too bad you're on a PC, or this wouldn't have been too
hard to implement using AppleScript. On Windows, you
may have a shot at it using Dynamic Data Exchange
(DDE) calls.
Even though DDE isn't supported directly in RunRev,
there's the Externals Collection :
http://www.xworlds.com/metacard/external.htm
You can use Google to find a group where you can ask
for more info on MS Word DDE calls.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====