Updated text search tool (was: documentation - full text search useful?)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu Jun 5 15:29:01 EDT 2003

An updated version of the text search tool  "TopSearch" has been added
to the User Contributions on the Revolution website.

Although the stack is primarily *not* intended to search the texts of
the Revolution Documentation, I have expanded this possibility. You can
now search the following "RevDocs" stacks choosing from a pulldown menu
button:
Transcript Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Documentation Frontstack,
Transcript Cookbook, Tutorials, Troubleshooting, Using the Free Edition,
How To, Glossary, Tips, Shortcuts, Menu References.
These stacks need not be open before the search, they are opened by the
search.

Revolution 2.0 has now integrated a search feature for the Transcript
Dictionary, as Jeanne has informed us.
This search routine filters out the cards that contain the searchstring
in their texts and you get a list of card names. This can certainly be
sufficient in most cases.

The search routine of  the Topsearch tool is slightly different. It
instantly shows - as it were - a compressed version of the texts
focusing on the lines with the searchstring that is hilited in a
different color.
You can go from there to the specific card and also get the full text of
a field with the searchstrings again colorized, which makes identifying
what you are looking for somewhat easier.

This is just to inform those who may be interested in this little tool.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke

P.S.:
Although I know there are already some "script" search tools available,
I am presently working on an update of a "script search tool"
(integrated into a "RevBrowser")  that has a structure similar to that
of the text search tool.