Script Improvement Advice

T. R. Ponn alptex2 at orwell.net
Thu Jun 5 08:21:00 EDT 2003

Hello Paul,

This looks like a fun one.

I'd do something like this:

Create a scrolling field and name it Data1
Put your data into the scrolling field in the form:
H,Hydrogen,1,1.08,37,N/A,........  with 1 element to a line.
Set the script to:
on mouseUp
     hide me
end mouseUp
Now lock the field and hide it.

Create and name all your buttons: Sb...Cr...He...H...  etc
Do not put any script in these buttons.

Create and name your "output" fields: Data2...Data3...Data4
No scriptiung required in these fields

Set the script of the card to:
on mouseUp
  if the optionKey is down then --If you want to edit the scrolling field
    show fld "Data1"
    exit mouseUp
  end if
  get line (lineOffset(cr&the short name of the target&",",fld
"Data1")+1) of fld "Data1"
  repeat with i=2 to the number of items of it
    put item i of it into fld ("Data"&i)
  end repeat
end mouseUp

I tried it here and it seems to work fine.

You could also skip the scrolling field and put the data into an
external text file.

Best Regards,

Tim Ponn