Suggestion: chunk

curry curry at pair.com
Wed Jun 4 04:03:04 EDT 2003

One more suggestion for chunks and delimiters:

Add "chunk" and "chunkDel". Why?

First, because especially for line and word, and pretty much for item
and (to be) column, they also have a meaning for us, that we
associate with a specific character. "Chunk" does not and would be
especially appropriate for any character.

Second, "chunk" would be especially useful for use with some other
character for delimiter because we don't have to worry about
resetting itemDel or lineDel afterwards, which is not a problem
between handlers but can be an issue within one handler. And a
"chunk" would need to be defined before use, we wouldn't assume as we
do with the others, so it would be more convenient and help to avoid
errors which every now and then take a while to track down.

Third, because that will give us about as many as we need for almost any use:

get word 1 of item 2 of column 3 of line 9 of chunk 5 of x

Or is that too many? :-)

Thanks,

Curry