The Market?

John Tenny jtenny at willamette.edu
Tue Jun 3 00:23:02 EDT 2003

I'm a newcomer (2 weeks) to Rev. Taught HC to pre-service teachers a
bunch of years ago. A thought or two from an outsider....

Who is the market for Rev ( and the needed books)? In early HC days,
teachers and kids were big users, with lots of folks starting there and
growing. It was an easy way for real novices to discover the joy of
controlling the computer and creatively thinking. But Rev is too
complex for kids in a classroom (not the individual curious kid, but
the group), and the navigation in, over, and around all the features,
documentation pockets, etc. is, from a newcomer's view, actually
terrible.

This group sounds a lot like the early adopter HC addicts (of which I
was one), who could really get excited over the mental stimulation that
carding generated. This core group is very important as a resource and
guiding light, but I doubt that it will ever be large enough to support
substantial book sales.

So then Rev gets smoothed out and clear to use -- how many new book
buying developers will get aboard? Again, doubt that it will be enough.

So will it evolve into a consumer product? We're all hooked and enjoy
it, even the problems, but what will bring the middle and late
technology adopters into the fold?

Ideas:  The Revolution Journal might publish 'type it in' scripts, held
to the free edition limits that will let novices  gain some experience
and control (remember the Basic articles with lines and lines of
code?); teachers in the group might write articles/do presentation on
how useful the simple (at the starter level) carding will help develop
thinking skills and discipline; the influential folks among you might
?pressure? consumer tech magazines to include articles and Rev
distributed stacks in their publications; the talented among you might
contribute to the freeware world with lots of encouragement to give Rev
a go as part of the stack.

Other ideas?

I raged when HC was dropped from Macs because of the loss of control
over the box; I'm thrilled that Rev is continuing the metaphor and
extending the power (even more thrilled when I can make heads of it
all), and REALLY want it to succeed.

How can we help?

Peace,

     John