Can anyone help with the 'printable area' problem

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:45:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 07:28:31 -0700  Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>Graham Samuel wrote:
>
>>  It seems from earlier posts that neither MC or RR offer a way for a
>>  scripter to find out what the actual printable area is on a page. It
>>  seems so crashingly obvious to me that this is absolutely needed for
>>  any but the most primitive printing facility in an application that I
>>  think it's time we got some kind of solution, at least for Macs and
>>  PCs. If anyone with sufficient technical skills would like to take on
>>  a solution for either or both of these platforms (Applescript, Xcfn,
>>  DLL etc - I am not competent to judge), contact me off list and we'll
>>  see if we can come to some arrangement.
>
>No need: see the printPaperSize global property
>
>For all other print-related properties, open the Transcript Dictionary and
>filter with "print".

No, Richard - I hesitate to suggest that you may have made a mistake
(if you have, it's the first one - and I've been reading your posts
for years), but in my environment, PrintPaperSize gives the size of
the **page** (like US letter or A4) in pixels, but not the printable
area within it. For example on my Epson inkjet printer, the maximum
printable area on an A4 page is defined by margins 0.13, 0.13, 0.13
and 0.57 inches. Without knowing this (and really why should my user
be expected to look this up in a manual?), I won't be able to offer
features like "use maximum area on page" and, to be safe I will have
to set the margins of my printable area (the printMargins) larger
than they need to be.

It's that information (which is certainly available to other apps -
my favourite Mac example is GraphicConverter, but there are plenty of
Window apps that use this info too) that I wish to be able to
extract. In principle I might like to know other stuff, like whether
my user has picked a colour printer or a black-and-white one, but
right now I would be content with being able to detect this simple
rectangle.

Graham