How do tables work?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 09:28:02 EDT 2003

Sorry, but I've searched the docs as best I can, including using the
new search facilities, but I can't find any reference above the
non-trivial to table objects (or are the fields with table
properties?), and no cookbook entry. Can anyone explain the table
properties palette, particularly the bits near the bottom, e.g.

What is meant by 'using'? Is this a place for a formatting string,
and if so, how specified?

What is the field below this with the 'update' and 'add' buttons?

If I want to script a spreadsheet-like object, can I alter the
'using' property by script, and if so how (for example, to change
'decimal' to 'text', which I note is not in the pulldown list in the
palette).

IMHO it's no good having powerful new features if nobody tells us how
to use them. But then again, I may have missed something - probably
have.

All clarifications gratefully received.

Graham