The Case For A RunRev Player

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Jun 1 14:21:01 EDT 2003

**********
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 06:59:06 -0700
> From: Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net>
> Subject: Re: The Case For A RunRev Player (was "Stack and Substacks")

> Let's get back to my original point: every time a developer scripts a
> "splash screen" stack to hold the MC engine & open the "real" stacks,
> he/she is creating a custom Revolution Player for that application.
>
> These players are NOT plugIns.  They look to the user as the main
> application file.  I'm talking about something distributed inside the
> main app bundle, not a separate file each user must download.
Of course...no wonder I didn't understand the problem, which is why I stayed
out of the thread until now. The problem is that there is no problem.

The splash or whatever (sometimes I make it into a custom UI) _is_ the
player. Any substacks converted as files in the Distribution Builder will
work off of it, and if properly written (for updating/saving), the user will
never know. I don't see how it could get any simpler, but that's Rev for ya.
Things are so much easier and so much work is done for you that people tend
to make them more difficult/complicated than they are.

Ken N.