Books on RunRev

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sun Jun 1 11:13:01 EDT 2003

I hesitate to enter this discussion. I have so little feel for the market.

However, on a personal level, I think a good book on RunRev is the
best thing that could happen right now. Certainly the product is
sufficiently mature that it is truly ready for prime time. It has
gone far beyond HyperCard in speed of execution, breadth of coverage
and variety of platforms.

I first became interested in xTalk programming through HC. And I
doubt that would have happened had it not been for the
Winkler-Kamins-DeVoto book. I thought it was just brilliant. A
perfect blend of theory (about a hundred pages) and extensive
examples. I agree fully with Richard that the best teacher is
experience. But a good example is experience on-a-stick.

I taught Physics for 30 years, and although I had a passion for the
theory, I always knew, deep down, that the only way to get through to
students was through meaningful examples and penetrating homework.

(By the way, my real interest in HC then, and RR now, is in
education. I think the time will come when programming is taught
routinely in High School and x-Talk is the ideal vehicle for the High
School student. There is certainly a book needed there. It would be
aimed at students interested in science--there are a dozen students
who pursue a science career for every one that becomes an application
programmer.  Programming is mostly about algorithms-schemes-and less
about implementation and so the language chosen for the beginning
programmer is the one which facilitates though and not one which is
CPU friendly. But it is very difficult to break through the inertia
of the entrenched High School curriculum. Trouble is, the teacher who
might initiate a HS course would be one with a background in
programming and not in the sciences. As you see I have a real bias
here. My apologies; I suspect that the majority on this list has
quite a different bent.)

Right now, this list fills the book void, and it does so brilliantly.
But there are many questions that users don't know to ask (I'm sure I
have no idea what RR is truly capable of) or are too embarrassed,
despite the grace with which newbie question are handled..

I think RR is more than half-way there with its excellent
documentation. Add a little theory (100 pages), and follow with the
existing dictionary but *add useful example scripts* to the
definitions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True, it would couldn't cover everything and it would soon become
outdated. But an on-line addendum could help to solve these problems.

I cannot begin to imagine the effort and imagination that has created
this product, beginning with the concept in HC, on to the expansion
with MC, now the polish of RR. RR is ready for prime time.  And
"RunRev 2.0, The Book" would make that announcement.

Jim