The Case For A RunRev Player (was "Stack and Substacks")

Wolfgang M. Bereuter wmb at internettrainer.com
Sun Jun 1 04:07:02 EDT 2003

On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 19:47 Europe/Vienna, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Players can be useful for things that have a common focus, and a lot of
> developers make them for their own collections of related wares.  But
> attempting to deploy general application designs in a player introduces
> other challenges, including menu management, name space
> considerations, and
> general design issues (this topic came up recently on the SC list:
>
> So what would make good candidates for distribution in a player?  What
> would
> be an example of "things that share a common focus"?

Agree with Richard. A many developer of Authoring-tools are leaving the
Players for double clickable Standalone Distributions...
Most of the regular users dont like to download Players, Plugins and
all that kind of stuff..
But, what are about a "Flash-player-plugin"-building Distribution
stack? So that any Rev stack can be viewed directly in the Browser
window.
Whole sites could be done without dooing the same again in html...
Stacks can be streamed directly into the browser without QT, RM, WMP
Running a rev app in the "browser", connect directly to SQL dbs.
Save also developing time for distributing rev apps on different
mediums (again no QT, RM, WMP)
And a lot more...

One tip more: pls dont be focused to stronge at "your" favorite
product. Pls have a look at others too. see the great success of
Qarbon, when they changed their viewlet fileformat from Java to swf
format...)
I personally dont like Flash, but its imho the only Standard in the web
which is not in danger to be killer from M$ because M$ is married with
sfw. Before killing it M$ will buy MM. And then is time enough for SVG.

I m not a scripter, so I dont know how to do that and how its possible.
But I know THAT would give rev the chance to become a real killer app.
Sorry if my idea is stupid, because of my ignorance in hardcore
developing...

My 2cent...

regards
Wolfgang M. Bereuter

Learn easy with trainingsmaps©
INTERNETTRAINER Wolfgang M. Bereuter
Edelhofg. 17/11, A-1180 Wien, Austria
http://www.internettrainer.com, wmb at internettrainer.com
Tel: ++43/1/ 961 0418, Fax: ++43/1/ 479 2539