Proposal - the use-revolution list

Carsten carstenlist at itinfo.dk
Thu Jul 31 03:25:00 EDT 2003

The Use Revolution List is a splendid tool and have for a long time
done a great job.

But I believe that some of the support requests by prof. licencees and
others to support at runrev.com could be avoided if the list was
reorganized to allow for a better overview of the debate.
Either a compleete remake or a supplementary/double strategy.

It would, as I see it, be a good idea to change the list to a Forum.

The concept and princip could still be the same: Free and open for all,
and RunRev answering questions/taking part in the debates and
announcing as now.

The case is that Revolution has developed into a much more mature
product and has a much broader appeal than could be said about MetaCard
2-3 years ago. And therefore the list-concept first adopted by MetaCard
and then continued by RunRev is now outgrown.

IS THE ARCHIVE NOT SOLVING THIS?
We have used the archive all the time - but it is not as good as a
forum. It does retain treads, but a lot could be said against the way
it acutally works.

A forum could be organized in chapters (the right word?)
Some examples:
-Installing
-Graphic formats
-Multimedia
---Movie
---Sound
-Scripting
---sub issue
---sub issue
---sub issue
etc. etc.

And within each chaptor and its sub issues the users will start and add
to threads.

Examples
http://forums.macosxhints.com/
http://www.macfixitforums.com/

One solution is to take a Mac OS X based Mac or a Linux based Intel
computer and install one of the open source systems:
I would suggest having a look at: http://www.phpbb.com/ or
http://www.vbulletin.com/ (vbulletin is not free but only USD 160 and
supported and used by many)
But many more can be found at:
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=309

If there should still be a whish for a list system, then it could be
set up to e-mail all new entries to those subscribing.

Best regards

Carsten Levin