Question on .rev file format

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jul 30 10:10:00 EDT 2003

On 7/30/03 2:22 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> In most work groups I've been part of it's common that multiple programmers
> will want to work on the same stack file, but rare that they'll want to work
> on the same substack at the same time.
>
> So focusing on a stack-level check-in/check-out tool keeps things simple
> while covering the most common case for team development.
>
> I guess the tough question is:  Who's got two free days to write the thing?

I have a stack that can read a Rev stack from a server, copy it to the local
drive for editing, and then save it back to the server with changes.  I
haven't experimented with editing substacks but I'm guessing it might work.
The only thing I don't know about is what happens if two people try to
access different substacks from the same mainstack?

It seems to me that one could use a "status" text file that is stored on the
server instead of a CGI to declare the availability of a stack/substack.
When connecting to the server, Rev first reads the file status declared in
the text file: if the status is "available", Rev continues to download the
stack/substack and writes "unavailable" to the text file.  Then reverse the
process would occur when publishing back to the server.

Other thoughts?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director