dumping (exporting?) the scripts to text files

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Wed Jul 30 05:16:00 EDT 2003

(Hope you don't mind if I shove this back to the list, Alex.)

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 01:59  AM, Joel Rees wrote:
> >
> > Hmm. Perhaps everyone just writes metatalk/transcript scripts to do
> > these kinds of tasks?
>
> Probably your best bet- you can get and set the script property
> directly:
>
> put the script of stack "MyStack" into URL "file:/tmp/test.xxx"

Great. Tried to do that before, but for some reason I didn't go quite
far enough.

<thinking-out-loud>
(For some reason, I don't do well with "natural language"
programming. I seem to have trouble knowing how far to let the computer
think for me, or something.)

Now I have the vicious cycle I expected -- can't load the text file in
TextEdit for some reason. (I'll check with Hexdump in a minute.) Once I
load it in Project Builder, I'm stuck, because Project Builder assumes
that the encoding was UTF-8 unless there's a BOM. No way to tell it it
was Shift-JIS.

Let's see, there was a trick that worked for fields I saw on the
Japanese users list, let's see if I can dig that out. Or maybe use this
as an excuse to buy BBEdit.
</thinking-out-loud>

Oh, and thanks, Klaus, Malte, and Fumitaka. I'll check those scripts
tomorrow, because I'm going to need a fair amount of automation with
this conversion.

<off-topic>
> What does Alpsgiken do? It's a cool looking site, but I don't read
> Japanse.

Thanks for asking. We do outsourcing. Mostly, it's electronics design
work, but we have a software group that's busy defining itself and
getting into the black. (Used to have two groups, and I guess I need to
change my sig, as soon as I find out what the English version will be.)

I've been helping with web apps in php and perl, but we have a customer
that has some Hypercard stacks, and I'm the designated Mac guy, I guess.
</off-topic>

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan