Multithread/Background function execution in Rev?

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Jul 29 15:24:01 EDT 2003

>> Is there a way to fire off my little fade in/out function (or any
>> function/message for that matter) in a separate event, process,
>> thread
>
> Yes.
>
> Look at 'send' and its friends 'cancel' and 'pendingMessages'.
> Dar Scott

I took the Hello World tutorial an an example and changed it as below.
It is interesting that if you start the visual effect first, it seems to
block the "move field".  But if you do it the way I have below, it works
on Windows and Linux (although clunkyness may be platform dependent I
suspect).  To me it seems that Revolution is mutithreaded sometimes.

Am I doing this along the lines of what you were suggesting?

-Steve

***the card script:

on preOpenCard
   set the loc of field "My Field" to -100,-50
   hide graphic "My World"
end preOpenCard

on myWorldMsg
   show graphic "My World" with visual effect dissolve
end myWorldMsg

on myFieldMsg
   move field "My Field" to the location of this card
end myFieldMsg

***the Start button script:

on mouseUP

     send "myFieldMsg" to me in 1 milliseconds
     send "myWorldMsg" to me in 300 milliseconds

end mouseUP