Universal GUI

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Mon Jul 28 15:22:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 11:43 AM, John R. Brauer wrote:

> If it is gone, then
> the items below it are one space higher up when I look for them, and my
> muscle memory becomes a liability instead of an asset. Disabled items
> are placeholders. Disabled items also tell me that I have found what I
> am looking for, and it is currently disabled for some reason

Interesting point, Dr. John. I don't think it's at all necessary to
"close up" the space left by unused but hidden controls that might
appear in the dialog under some condition. But if you did that, then
I'd agree with your assessment about muscle memory.

FWIW, I do *not* agree with MS that the same principle that applies to
hidden menu items should apply to hidden controls because muscle memory
needn't come into play with controls as it must inevitably with menus.
A hidden control when it does appear is (or should be) at the same
location every time, which gains the consistency.