Universal GUI

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Jul 28 12:42:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 11:20 AM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> I fully agree with you that it makes no sense to have *relevant* UI
> controls hidden so that the user has to sort of "unlock the puzzle" to
> get at them.

I think we are in agreement.  Perhaps the problem is that the user and
the GUI designer may not have the same picture as to what is relevant
or what words mean.

I might not select "Field Use" in a laser calibration setup because I'm
in my lab.  Only by selecting it do I find I can set temperature,
humidity and altitude or air pressure.  This is very relevant to me
because my lab (in this imaginary scenario) is at 12,000 feet and in a
hot, humid jungle without air conditioning.  The GUI designer didn't
think of my conditions as lab conditions.  I didn't think of my
conditions as field, because I have a rock solid optics bench and power
conditioners and the like.

Dar Scott