Memory Limits (was Tiny images, mega headache)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jul 27 17:42:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 12:19 AM, David Kwinter wrote:

> The images are 3,700 bytes. I've got 256mb ram. I notice my WinXP page
> file
> balloons to 700MB before it stalls. On the Mac I just get the spinning
> lollipop of death.

I know you got a solution, but I wonder about people's experience with
using lots of memory.

 From memory...

Revolution will lock up on my OS X when adding chars to a string at
about a string length of 700MB.  However, if I create random strings,
_both_ Revolution and Finder get a spinning icon and the other apps
become very, very slow at a little over 500MB.  If I kill Revolution,
the other apps speed up after a few minutes.  I didn't take time to
explore these.

Dar
(My own memory is limited, so who am I to complain?)
****
   Dar Scott Consulting    http://www.swcp.com/dsc/    Programming
Services