Palm Database Viewer

James Richards jamesjrichards at lineone.net
Sun Jul 27 01:13:00 EDT 2003

on 26/7/03 18:02:59 +0200,  Lars Lewejohann wrote:

> If there is no single file type, how will a pdb be assigned to
> be hotsyncable?

Interesting... I've just had a go with HotSync manager which seems to be
willing to let me install any plain text file or even HyperCard stacks! I've
not tried out installing because I don't want to mess up my PDA. It looks as
though they are working on 'trust the user not to be an idiot' which is not
what I'd call failsafe!

> All I could find so far was that changing the
> file type to "Gld0" might work. However, if this is not a
> generic pdb file type, will it work then on all Macs connected
> to a Palm-handheld?

That type seems very common. It applies to almost everything I have got.
Exceptions are the Bible text files for BibleReader which are 'TEXT' and the
translated document files for Documents To Go which appear to have 'PDB ' -
the fourth char seems to be a space.

I think that the effect of using that type in your stack would be that any
non 'Gld0' type files would simply be invisible in the answer dialog. And
effectively unopenable. What hazards are there in allowing the user
potentially to try and open anything in your stack as if it were a .pdb?
There could be potential for freezing/crashing I suppose. Is there anything
in the content of the file which would identify it so that it could be
tested for and if it is not a .pdb file the stack could close it again
without changing it and refuse to dispaly it. Sorry - just thinking aloud
here

Regards

James

--