.rev file association issues

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Sat Jul 26 11:07:00 EDT 2003

Gary Rathbone writes:

> Miscdas,
>
> Thanks for this, unfortunately after step 7 nothing changes. I can "select
> Revolution", but Rev is not added to any list or options. I can follow this
> process for other file types eg .html and it works great.
>
> Meanwhile .rev is now associated with wordpad, which is proving quite
> interesting.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gary
>
>> On WIN XP pro, in less than 10 steps:
>>
>> 1. In the directory list, right click the stack name
>>   the context menu is displayed.
>> 2. On the context menu, select "open with"
>>   the sub-menu is displayed
>> 3. on the sub-menu, click "choose program"
>>   the "Open with" dialog is displayed
>> 4. on the "Open with" dialog, click the Browse button
>>   a scondary "Open With..." dialog is displayed
>> 5. Browse through the directory to find the Revolution.exe file and select
>> it. (Probably c:\Program Files\Revolution x.x.x\Revoluton.exe )
>> 6. click Open
>>   the "Open with" dialog is dispalyed with Revolution blah-blah selected
>> in
>> the list of applications.
>> 7. select "always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
>> 8. click OK
>>   the dialog closes and your stack is launched
>>
>> Now .rev will be associated with Revoluton.
>>
>> miscdas
> =========
Gary,

Are you sure you've done it correctly? I just checked Rev2.0.1 on Win 2000
Pro. Revolution did NOT appear in the list of files at step 3. (This appears
to be a registration problem at installaion--"well-behaved" Win apps are
supposed to register when they install, as well as add an entry for the
file-type association.)

I continued with the rest of the procedure and the behavior was as described
in my prior post; i.e. "Revolution engine for win 32" appeared automatically
in the list and was selected. At step 8, the Rev file that I had originally
selected was launched as expected. .rev is now associated with
revolution.exe, enabling launching of rev stacks by double-clicking.

So, this works for me on both Win XP pro and Win 2000 pro with Rev 2.0.1

miscdas