Newbie - MainStack Question

Brian K. Maher plsntbreez at mac.com
Sat Jul 26 10:51:03 EDT 2003

Hi Rob,

> First, I don't consider placing the mainStack's preOpenStack &
> openStack handlers in the first group or card to be opened to be a
> work around: it is simply an illustration of placing handlers at the
> most appropriate point in the message hierarchy.
>
> IMFO, the best place for generic routines is a library stack that
> other stacks start using.  This makes them available to all stacks
> that need them, not just the single mainStack.
>
> And if you mean "generic to the mainStack & it's subStacks" instead of
> generic across two or more mainstacks, doesn't moving the openStack
> handler to the card or group script accomplish exactly that?

Hmm ... maybe this is something that I have not yet wrapped my brain
around yet.  Is it normal to put handlers that apply to one object in
another object?  I understand putting a mouseUp handler higher in the
hierarchy if it makes it easier to handle the event for multiple
buttons (this makes total sense to me), however, it seems strange to me
to move a handler lower in the hierarchy.  It would seem that this
would make maintenance of the application harder over the long term
(i.e. instead of knowing that you may have to search up the object
hierarchy for a handler you now have to remember to search both up and
down).  Do you have any old applications that you have had to go back
and maintain after they have been in use for a while (i.e. an
application where you don't remember the code / structure)?  Has this
ever caused a maintenance problem for you?

Thanks, Brian