RE .rev file association issues

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Fri Jul 25 21:18:01 EDT 2003

I remember back when I was using "Oracle Media Objects" (which required
distribution of a "runtime player" along with stacks) I would use a
utility called "RegEdit" to produce a script that, when run, would
alter the Windows registry to associate the stacks with the player.
This was Windows 95, however, and I no longer remember the details of
the process.  Maybe RegEdit still works, has been updated, or perhaps
there is a newer equivalent for WinXP.
Perhaps Rev is capable of initializing such a script on its own, or
perhaps could even be used to (carefully) directly modify the registry.
  I also seem to recall that direct manipulation of the Windows registry
had been "discouraged" by Microsoft in favor of another newer method of
file association.  Unfortunately the name of this newer method escapes
me...something about  ".ini" files, perhaps?

-KK