[OT] What is a computer programmer?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Jul 25 19:38:02 EDT 2003

Alex-

Thanks for a very entertaining read (if you'll excuse my nouning that
verb).

My working definition of programming is "getting a programming
language to do something it wasn't designed to do"; i.e., if the
language I'm using already has a "print" function I don't need to code
one myself. If it doesn't have a "print floating-point" function and I
need one then I'll have to write some code.

...and it's a pretty sure bet that no language I use is going to have
an "encrypt this financial information record and send it out the
given serial port" function...

-Mark Wieder