UnNesting Nested Groups

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jul 24 22:57:00 EDT 2003

I seem to have gotten myself in a fix  I can't find a way out of:

Make a group... lots of controls, name it "base controls"

Fumble a bit with mis-selections and click the "Group" icon on the menu
bar inadvertently, maybe twice, and now have in the Application Browser
(where the following GRP represents the group Icon)

GRP: Base controls
GRP:     group id 1239
GRP:         group ID 1240
GRP:            group ID 1241
                        field FirstName
                        Field Last Name
                        btn: "Listing"
                        etc. (some 40+ more controls)

Now, these controls were originally in the group "Base Controls" and
now they have mysteriously moved to an "interior group" with no name,
Since there a lot of data already entered, deleting groups is not an
option...  i can click on the group and edit it.. "(Base Controls is
selected first) click again and get the next group, click again, get
the next group, then click a third time and finally I am selecting
individual controls in the group ID 1241...

How can one un-nest this mess and get back to simply:

GRP: Base controls
  		field FirstName
		Field Last Name
		btn: "Listing"
		etc. (some 40+ more controls)

Now, undoubtedly my ineptitude created this situation, but it seems
that somehow the interface shouldn't allow one to get into such a
fix... or at least provide an easy way out. If one tries to edit the
interior group and paste these back into "Base controls" group... all
data on all cards is lost, even though Base Controls is placed on all
cards..

Of course one can export all the data, clean up the interface and
reimport it... but this has happened before... how to get rid of the
redundant groups and retain all data?  Probably something simple I am
missing here.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery