Extracting from Excel and Access

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu Jul 24 11:55:26 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 10:32  AM, Mark Powell wrote:

> Can anyone give me a pointer as to how to perform the following 2
> pseudo-procedures
>
> -1-
> Open Excel file 'foo.xls'
> Copy all the fields of sheet "blah" as text
> put it into a var
>
> -2-
> Open Microsoft Access file 'foo.mdb'
> Copy Table 'blah' as text
> put it into a var
>
> I am on Windows 2000 and I am not currently interested in querying the
> contents of either.  I just want to extract and ruminate within
> Revolution.

There is no way to script Windows apps from within Runrev. So you would
have to manually perform steps a) and b) of each of your list.

c) "put it into var"- Excel puts tab delimited data onto the pasteboard
and probably other types. Most well developed apps put several data
types on the pasteboard. Using RR 2.0's new pasteboard features, you
can inspect the keys of the pasteboard and pick what data type you want
to put into your var.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com