understanding modeless stacks on OS X

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Jul 22 22:31:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 08:13  PM, Sarah wrote:

> I only get the black border in a stack where I have extended a tabbed
> button to use it's striped background over the whole card area. This
> happens to me in the development environment as well as in a
> standalone.

Yes, a tabbed button is on the card, however, the black border goes
away when the style is modeless (with pinstripe background). So the
issue is not the tabbed button, it's that I can't get the striped
background to appear in standalone.

> I just tested a single stack app with radio buttons to change mode and
> a default button. The background changed as expected and the default
> button looked fine in all modes. Are you sure there isn't something
> else interfering, like a background pattern or color set in the
> mainStack, or a large tabbed button?

Yes- but did you build a standalone and get the same results? Here is a
recipe with no tabbed button involved.

- New mainstack Untitled 1
- New substack Untitled 2
- Put a button on Untitled 1.
- Set the script of the button to

on mouseup
   go stack "Untitled 2"
end mouseup

- set the style of stack Untitled 2 to modeless
- in browse mode, click on button 1
- Untitled 2 appears fine w/ pinstripe background

- now build a standalone of the mainstack Untitled 1.
- run it and click button 1.
- Untitled 2 appears with a _gray_ background.

Thanks for the help Sarah. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com