unclear on the concept, or major report printing bugs?

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Jul 22 15:45:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 02:04  PM, Jan Schenkel wrote:
> Coming back from a viral infection-enduced hiatus, and
> after having waded through a huge truckload of posts,
> I noticed that nobody replied to the above post -- so
> I figured I'd have a go at it.

Welcome back, glad you are still with us!

> However, the algorithm doesn't care if it's slicing a
> field in half ; it just divides up the card into
> slices the size of what fits between the header and
> footer.

This is surprising. For some reason I thought the Reports feature could
do at least some basic pagination of big cards, since it offers 1-up or
N-up options.

> In case you're feeling adventurous and want to learn
> more about the report generator inner workings, have a
> look at the 'revPrintBack' backscript.

Yes I was reading the backscript and it appeared to me that it should
have been able to paginate a tall card. I guess I misread the
transcript.

> You'll see in that backScript that you can trap the
> 'revChangePage' message in your source stack and
> update the data in a field dynamically with say, the
> content of a field in a database ?

Ah! that's interesting, I'll look into it.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com