Rev killing the Mac platform?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 15:38:01 EDT 2003

--- miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:
> Richard Gaskin writes:
>
> > Alex Rice wrote:
> >
> >> Personally I would rather pay an extra $75 than
> to move over to Windows
> >> for my main development platform.
> >
> > If you move your email to Windows as well you'll
> pay far more than $75
> > dealing with viruses. ;)
> >
> > --
> >  Richard Gaskin
> >  Fourth World Media Corporation
> >  Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database
> on any site

> =============
> Wow Richard, that is s definitive sounding almost
> "urban legend"-like
> statement! However, as a Windows user for all but
> the first year it came
> out, I have not spent dollar one in either avoiding
> viruses or by problems
> caused by viruses on any of my Windows systems!
>
> miscdas

Well I for one am very happy that my Norton AntiVirus
software captures the five infected emails I get in my
home mailbox per week -- too bad it couldn't save me
from the real world-virus that had unmentionable
effects on my metabolism.
There are some very nasty viruses out there, as quite
a few of our customers can say who didn't get NAV and
lost quite a few things on their hard drives or found
sensitive files had been sent to a random person in
their address book. Not to mention the spyware that we
found on their hard drives.

This morning one of my colleagues showed me an
HTML-formatted email with a VBScript in it that would
eject all your removable media. Even if that's just a
prank, it goes to show that many things can be easily
accomplished by malevolent minds.
And when I compare the things I have to face on my
Outlook-equipped Win2K machine at work, to the safety
of my MacOSX iBook, I can only support Richard's
claim.

Jan Schenkel.

=====