Rev killing the Mac platform?

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Jul 22 14:10:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 11:42  AM, Barry Levine wrote:

> If I follow what you are saying, I need to buy an Express license so I
> can continue my final development/tweaking under Windows, then
> transfer the project back to my Mac for the final distribution build
> so I won't get the annoying splash screen (that I would otherwise get
> if I built the project on the PC). It seems like a reasonable solution
> and I am slapping myself that I didn't see it (and obviously missed
> Geoff's posting regarding this).

Yep it was quite an active thread, I bet a lot of people missed that
suggestion by Geoff. I'll append the message. I would buy the Studio
license for Mac, and an Express version of Windows. Then you could
build for Mac OS Classic too.

> As far as "abandoning" the Mac goes, I used to work for Apple and was
> their K-12 AE for my local territory. I bleed in six colors. However,
> the fact that I would need to buy an additional license when I am
> truly only running it on one computer at a time is bothersome. I'll
> just have to pass the costs on to my customers (which is reasonable).

It is kind of bothersome. The one license for the IDE on 11 platforms
was too good to last I guess. :-)

> Though I am "themacguy", I can see the benefits of the PC. In fact, I
> just built a "small-form-factor" unit which sits on the shelf and uses
> my Mac keyboard and trackball (via KVM).
>
> Perhaps I'll complain less when the "special pricing" for renewals is
> posted.

It will be interesting to see what they offer.