understanding modeless stacks on OS X

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue Jul 22 01:01:01 EDT 2003

I have a preferences stack that I want to have the pinstripe background
pattern on OS X, and I want to get rid of the ugly black box around the
default button (OS X appearance manager button).

In the IDE, I just set the style to modeless, and it looks correct. In
a standalone, the stack seems to be toplevel because there is a gray
background instead of pinstripes and there is a black box around the
default button. However, the stack reports that it is modeless. Here is
the handler used to open the prefs stack.

on mouseUp
   set the loc of stack "Prefs" to the screenloc
   go stack "Prefs" -- also tried "as modeless"
   answer the style of stack "Prefs" -- says "modeless"
end mouseUp

Again, in the IDE, this handler shows a modeless stack that appears how
I want it to. In standalone, it looks bad. Is this a bug?

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com