Rev 2.02/New pricing (The novel)

curry curry at pair.com
Fri Jul 18 09:45:01 EDT 2003

Geoff Canyon wrote:

>  >> re: final compiles: it shouldn't matter, at least as far as the
>  >> result.
>  > It would matter, obviously, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. (Hint: we
>  > were talking Studio + Express.)
>Both have the same build ability: Marty and Wendy
>can both build for Mac OS X and Windows, and their apps will be
>byte-identical. Marty's Windows app, built in Studio on OS X, will be
>the same as Wendy's Windows app, built in Studio on XP.

I'm trying to involve you in considering these points more
thoroughly, rather than just giving you the short answer.
Byte-identical standalones are only one aspect to consider in this
situation.

In fact, bringing Mary and Wendy into the picture may be a good idea,
because the difference I'm trying to get you to see involves the
developers and their work environment in addition to the Rev IDE and
the applications produced. Imagine Marty and Wendy at work on their
applications. They edit, they build...then what? (You may have to
consider a few different types of people and work too--to make it
simple, let's just compare me to Marty and assume he's making
shareware.)

Let's take a look at Marty in his small home office room....

So, Marty tweaks and gets the Windows copy working right on his
Express version, then copies the stack back to his Mac.

Then, he gets his Windows app built from his Mac and (as Martin
suggested--good example) he opens it on PC to change the file format.
Even if it was a small enough file to ignore that, how is he going to
package the file? It depends on what Marty is using, but he may very
well compress and package his Windows versions with different
software (Windows software) than his Mac versions. And there may be
other similar needs. So he still needs to transfer the app back to
his PC.

Now, is Marty on a network? Maybe, maybe not. Since he's using Studio
rather than Enterprise, let's assume maybe he's still not set up
quite that well with equipment, and isn't networked. So he may
transfer by internet or removable media, and the stack itself may
have fit on a floppy, but the app won't, so Marty may have to take
some time switching internet connections (he's just a Studio user,
remember, and may be cutting a few corners) or he may have to go get
a zip drive or two if he doesn't have one.

Ah...now the file is on the internet! But wait--is it the final
release, or a beta? Either way, Marty may find that users report a
bug or two that must be fixed right away. And he may have some
problems with files or servers. Any number of things may make Marty
have to go back and repeat his compiling process--and here's where
the concept of workflow really begins to kick in: you don't just
consider one iteration of a process; you have to consider what
happens when it repeats, too. It may be repeated on the same project
as well as repeated on different projects.

In fact, that's precisely the reason why Marty had purchased an
Express version too (a rather ungainly and expensive combination to
keep up after the initial sale price ended) to add to what was
supposed to be a rather complete solution in itself. Marty's Studio
version cranked out byte-identical copies of Windows apps, but Marty
was developing cross-platform, so he some changes and tweaks were
often needed. He used platform-conditional code, as many other
developers did, and that had to tested to see if there were no
bugs--and often, even when there were no bugs, he saw places for
improvements to be added when testing.

If that only happened once, it wouldn't have been so bad. If it was
only a case of verifying and changes were only needed once or twice a
year, it wouldn't have been bad at all! But in fact, changes were
often needed, and sometimes there were problems that were hard to
track down and had to be tested repeatedly--each time jotting down
notes and going back to try a few changes to the code, and repeating
the tedious process of getting it back to the PC and opening again to
try it again.

Finally, Marty had realized that his time was slipping away. His
friend Wendy had told him he was getting to be a nervous wreck. In
desperation, he had added an Express version and started juggling the
two.

So why didn't Marty just get a Enterprise version? Is that the
solution to workflow? Perhaps, but Marty bought Studio as a complete
cross-platform tool within his budget. Can we blame him for doing
this when he was encouraged to do so? Unfortunately, Marty's budget
is still roughly the same. He and Wendy get together and look at his
books--she's better with accounts--and they agree that he just can't
swing it this year. Maybe next year. In fact, Wendy warns him that
his finances aren't going to withstand his Express addiction much
longer. Marty's sunken eyes look tiredly from his Mac, to his PC, and
back to the Mac again. Is Studio a complete product? He can't deny
it; it's byte-identical. But the workflow...the workflow.... Head in
his hands, we leave him for the moment.

Another friend--Lee Linux--is using two Express editions--one for
Linux, one for Mac. Lee had taken a look at Studio and shook his
head--a somewhat lazy person who didn't fancy a long editing-testing
cycle--but although it was a good area he was breaking into, there
was still enough of the old attitude that a segment of Linux home
users had about registering their software (although that was
changing) that Lee didn't want to risk the big investment of the
Enterprise edition. (Even half-price would have been a little above
his head, but unfortunately, Lee came to Revolution a little too late
to take advantage of it.)

So Lee was making software with Express and said, "So it has a quit
screen--so what? I have a good workflow, okay? You guys look tired!
How about me?" But one day Wendy, who worked in a school, actually
saw a couple of people trying Lee's software at the computer lab. She
moved closer and overheard one saying that she was interested in
buying it the first time she looked--until she saw the promo screen
when she quit. That didn't give her a good feeling about the
reliability  of the software. Her colleague agreed--he told her of a
bad experience his friend had with some software like that.

Wendy told Marty about it on the phone. "Should I tell Lee?" she
said. "I don't know," he said, "but I'll never give in. I'll never
have that splash screen." He was getting that weird tone again that
he had so much lately, so Wendy ended the call quickly. She was
worried about Marty. Lee might have few customers, but at least his
health was okay....

-- I hope that *illustrates* some of the points that have been made. :-) --

Curry