Rev 2.02/New pricing

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Fri Jul 18 06:36:01 EDT 2003

Geoff Canyon writes:

> On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 12:10  PM, miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:
>
>> Excuse me?  The Starter Kit was already THE option for hobbyists!
>> So, in the single OS versions, do we get a slimmed-down engine optimized
>> for that OS? If we can develop only for one OS, why carry all the unused
>> (and unusable) baggage for the others?
>> Also, I can accept readily all the bugs in a Free version, but they're
>> very hard to swallow in a paid version. (And please, don't tell me what a
>> comparatively small bug count Rev has; it's really irrelevant.)
>
> The Starter Kit was great for anyone who had the open-mindedness to look
> beyond the popular conception of what can be done in ten lines of code and
> the perseverance to work within the actual confines of that limit.

Considering this subject relates to hobbyists, you offer a great supporting
argument for keeping the 10-line limit in tact.

> Ten lines of code is a very fuzzy limitation, because you can't know ahead
> of time how clever you'll be at building within that limit, and you can't
> even have a marginally accurate conception until you've used Revolution
> extensively.

Again, exactly the kind of challenging nut a hobbyist enjoys cracking.
I believe you will find the hobbyists contributing solutions to problems
that would otherwise go un- or under-answered because "real developers"
simply can't justify the time investment.

> The limitations on Express, on the other hand, are conceptually clean and
> simple; anyone can grasp what they're getting without any experience of
> Revolution at all.

Ah, but now we switch the subject from hobbyist to the general "anyone". I
couldn't agree more in that case. I know several "designers" that want to do
multimedia apps, and state emphatically that they are not programmers (and
don't want to be). Express would be good for them to make an evaluation.
[snip]
> regards,
>
> Geoff Canyon
> gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com