Rev 2.02/New pricing

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Jul 18 02:34:00 EDT 2003

> I am absolutely all in favor of RR getting as much exposure and
> publicity for the tool as possible because we all ultimately benefit
> from that. But this splash screen is a proven bad idea which I really
> hope RR reconsiders.

Let's not get too carried away. I remember that the idea of a cheeper
version that only builds for one platform and has a splash like in Director
was called for way back before the initial let's get the last HC users
special offer.

I'm not saying it's a good idea but it's one that came from this list. Ever
since Rev came out there have been people demanding a $100-150 price tag and
not only does int make good business sense that RR have replaced the Free
version with the Express but it shows they listen to thier users.

The worst thing I can see about the splash is the target audience. It's not
annoying the developer as much as the user. The user is the one that doesn't
own Rev and therfore could be another sale. You've just annoyed a potential
customer. Will you get the sale? No.

I think that if Express is a hobby version then it should have a hobby
distribution system. My vote would be something akin to a standalone version
of RevNet with a cache for offline browsing. AKA Java WebStart.

That way the limitation is actually showing off the cross-platform web aware
capabilities of Rev.

Regards

Monte