Rev 2.02/New pricing

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Fri Jul 18 01:08:01 EDT 2003

> Here's the only objection I have...and it's a big one.
> The Made With Screen...
>
> And here's why.
>
> This same screen killed professional development for Macromedia Director.
> Because so many hack-job Director games and projects were created...each
> with the "Made by Director" stamp, it severely tarnished its reputation. We
> had a number of clients who emphatically didn't want their Edutatainment
> products developed in Director, because of this exact stigma --even though
> we had done award winning CD-ROM's for Mattel and the Discovery Channel
> using Director. We eventually gave up using Director. So has everyone else.

Wow. I've been wondering why all the authoring tools seem to disappear.

> So, what can we expect *others* to think when they see the "Made with
> Revolution" logo on 'newbie' type projects? That all Rev projects are like
> this, and of the same caliber??? This is one of the reasons I originally
> chose RR, because it *didn't* have this stigma.

And the attribution screen is going to be required _specifically_ on
stacks made by hobbiests and guys like me buying the cheap edition to
test the waters. (If I can talk my wife into squeezing it into the
family budget.)

> Now, I'm not trying to denigrate or belittle newbie RR programmers at
> all...it's just one would expect RR to want to splash their logo on the
> *best* of it's developer's work...not the beginners. I think the ABOUT box
> (the way it is currently) is just fine.

I think I'm going to have to agree.

If the folks at runrev are going to insist on attribution, they might
want to have the screen say something like, "Built with Run Revolution
Express, the cheap version for hobbiests, students, etc. Why don't _you_
see what you can slap together in 30 minutes, too?"

They'd have to word that better, though.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan